The tallest buildings begin with a hole in the ground.
In 1964 construction began on the First National Bank of Atlanta building, which at forty-one stories would be the tallest building in Atlanta for more than a decade. Henry C. Beck was the general contractor, with grading by M.T. Lambert Co. using two Caterpillar 955 Traxcavators and a Cat D7E to dig thirty feet below street level. The confines were tight—110 feet along Peachtree Street and 138 feet on Broad Street.
The Peachtree Arcade, a three-tier shopping plaza, had stood on the site since 1917 and had to be removed along with deep concrete columns that supported the Arcade. Fifty years later the State of Georgia owns what is now known as the Two Peachtree Building, which houses government offices.
Share this Story
A World-Class Infrastructure 1971 - 1985