Moving coal in 1940.
When Goodloe and Earle Yancey turned on the lights for the first time at their hardware store on Peachtree Street in 1914, the Georgia Railway and Power Company (later to be known as Georgia Power Company) had three hydro and two steam electric generating plants with a combined capacity of 94,200 kilowatts.
Georgia Power built new plants through the decades, and today generates approximately 18 million kilowatts of electricity. At its coal-fired plants, Georgia Power must keep adequate supplies of fuel on hand to ensure uninterrupted operations. Coal arrives by rail and, ideally, is transferred directly to a hopper, then a conveyor, to a crusher and a burner. In most cases, however, the coal is moved to a pile for a short time before being loaded into the hopper.
Operators at the plants use Caterpillar rubber-tire dozers, and because coal can be slick, track dozers to move tons of coal every day from storage areas into the generating plants, keeping the lights on for twenty-first century hardware stores and other businesses, homes, and communities all across Georgia.
Share this Story
A World-Class Infrastructure 1971 - 1985