Swipe horizontally to view next image

Connections to Yancey’s Beginnings

In 1956 Yancey Bros. Co. highlighted two long-time employees in its Cat® Tales newsletter. Marvin C. Moore and O. M. Huie had been with the company since its earliest days. Their stories tell much about the company’s early years.

Marvin C. Moore

After World War I, in 1919, Mr. Marvin Moore began his career with Yancey Bros. Co. as a ‘do it all’ man. Only five other people were employed here at that time. Mister Goodloe, Mr. Earle Yancey, and Buddy Brown were salesmen. Mr. L. D. Yancey was bookkeeper, and Mary Elliott worked part time after school as secretary. The company sold only to counties, since all road building was done by the county prisoners. Yancey Bros. Co sold mule-drawn Adams graders, Hart Parr farm tractors, convict clothes from Happ Bros. in Macon, and tents and steel cages from Manley Iron Works in Dalton to house prisoners. The first track-type tractors were made by the Holt Tractor Company, and had four-cylinder gas engines.

Working conditions differed a great deal from today. Business was done in a one-room office. There was no pickup and delivery service; tractors were unloaded by everyone at the depot and driven to the office. Mr. Moore had been there one year when the first truck was purchased. The salesmen came in on Thursdays, and everything sold was shipped out before they left on Friday nights. All traveling was done by train.

Marvin Moore was hired for $100 a month, but was paid $125. This amount was cut during the depression, but Yancey Bros. Co. didn’t let anyone go. Mr. Moore worked as office boy, partsman, serviceman, and porter. He traveled to all fairs giving sales demonstrations. In those days he hooked tractors up with competitive machines to show strength. He has spent many a night sleeping with prisoners while doing service work. This was due to no hotel facilities at that time. His tools were carried in a bag similar to one a doctor might have this day and time.

Mr. Moore has done many odd jobs, such as helping unload the vault doors of the present-day Federal Reserve Bank. He attended the County Commissioners Convention in Columbus in 1920, and has attended every one since. He began as a salesman for Yancey Bros. Co. in 1930 following nine years as a shipping clerk. Mr. Moore is the oldest employee here, having been employed by Yancey Bros. Co. for thirty-seven years. At present he is not active in sales, but still handles entertainment for the County Commissioners Conventions. He is very active as an emcee for horse shows.

O. M. Huie

At 7:30 a.m. on a bright and sunny morning, July 5, 1922, Oliver M. “Tom” Huie reported for duty with Yancey Bros. Co. His duties were to keep records on parts consigned by J. D. Adams Co. Soon he was doing extra work in the bookkeeping department. Two years later he was in charge of the accounting department. In 1927, due to reorganization, he was elected secretary, and in 1947 he was elected secretary and treasurer.

Tom has worked continually without leave of absence. Today he is going strong and looks forward to another ten years of service to the company and our customers. He tells of the difference from the old days of pen-and-ink posting, making statements by hand, to the present-day electronic machines and other modern methods, the thrill of seeing sales climb to twenty-five times what they were, new and improved machines and attachments, and that ever-changing evolution in his day from crude mule-drawn scrapers and wheelers to modern high-speed diesel rubber-tired equipment.

The business world has not always been rosy since 1922, but Tom took depressions and boom times in stride and has done his best in guiding the destinies of our business over the years.

“Today the world and the future look to Tom just as bright as they did on that sunny day in July 1922 when he embarked on his career in the machinery business, and we agree with him.” –Cat Tales, 1956

Share this Story

More
Foundations 1914 - 1938
Era Stories