The first Caterpillar wheel loader was the No. 944, followed soon after by the No. 922 and the No. 966. These machines were not originally called wheel loaders. They were actually introduced as wheel-type traxcavators. Two articulated steering wheel loaders, the 966B and 988, were introduced in 1963, followed by additions to the product line up through 1969. In 2013 the 988 wheel loader celebrated its fiftieth anniversary in production. It has been a mainstay in mining, forestry, and aggregates operations around Georgia.
“The introduction of wheel loaders greatly sped up loading of material like aggregates for transport and made a tremendous impact on the industry. They have been and continue to be one of the most important production machines in the quarries across the state.”
Buddy Brand, Yancey Bros. Co.
Share this Story
Post-War Boom 1948 - 1959