A year after Lenox Square opened, Foster & Creighton Co. began a project to widen and resurface nearby Piedmont Road from the intersection of Peachtree Street down to Cheshire Bridge Road, about four miles away. The contractor widened the road, which was already one of Atlanta’s most heavily traveled, from two lanes to four lanes, eighty-two feet wide, including a railroad underpass, a railroad overpass, and a four-span bridge over Peachtree Creek. In addition to hitting more solid rock than anticipated, crews encountered water mains that were uncharted and long forgotten. The contractor used Cat® D8 dozers, a 977 Traxcavator, and a No. 14 motor grader, among other equipment, and completed the job ahead of schedule in January 1961.
Share this Story
Post-War Boom 1948 - 1959