In Albany, the U.S. Marine Corps built one of the largest supply depots in the country on a site that was seven miles long and a mile wide. N. C. Wright Construction Co. of Columbus contracted for clearing, grading, and constructing drainage, which included nine miles of ditches. The contractor did not clear the entire site, but left all trees except those in the path of roads, railroad spurs, or drainage installations. Two large lime sinks on the site had poor drainage, and Wright filled the spots with 450,000 cubic yards of earth fill. Wright used nine DW10 scrapers plus Cat® dozers and other equipment to complete the massive job. The base opened in 1954, providing supply support for Marines east of the Rocky Mountains and in Atlantic regions.
Share this Story
War Years and Beyond 1939 - 1947